data centersBy definition, micro mobile data centers are standalone system that has all the components of a traditional data center. This includes a cooling system, a telecommunication system, and a storage system. Other capabilities that a micro data center has are fire suppression capability, security, and a UPS or an interruptible power supply. Micro data centers can be used in all types of environments such as indoor or outdoor usage Including any type of harsh terrain. The best feature about a micro data center is the fact that it minimizes the energy footprint that is consumed by the more traditional models.

A traditional data center was originally created to serve the purpose of things we used to do on paper with pens and pencils. The traditional data center is also known as a siloed data center. The reason for this is because they rely very heavily on physical servers and hardware. The traditional data centers are usually stopped by its size when it comes to doing particular jobs because the hardware and a space available is just not enough.

The first computers ever created are examples of a traditional data center because the way they work. If you think about how our computers work, they have a certain capability to store whatever we need but after that is used up storage of anything else needs to go somewhere. The cloud is what we would use today but before the cloud data centers were created for the very same use. In the 1990s and 2000’s when websites started becoming the new thing of the future, the traditional data center was used to house the amount of data that was required to run particular programs on demand.

With technology exploding into the fascinating era that it is in now, there had to be a way to store mass data without having to worry about taking up too much space and without anything crashing, which is why the micro data center was created. As things evolved, the cloud was born and in today’s world this is now known as the modern data center for all.

data centers

The cloud happens to be what 75% of people use to store their data in. In order to save money and space, this happens to be the ultimate choice. To run a traditional or micro data center from your place of choice, you must consider the size and location as well as the jobs you will have it doing before you can even think about how much it may cost to run. These Micro and traditional data centers can be very costly and can cost up to $25 million to operate. Why does it cost that much money compared to only a few bucks a month to use the cloud?

About 58% of that money ends up going towards air conditioning, sales taxes, heating, labor costs, and property taxes. The other 42% of the money ends up going into hardware, disaster recovery arrangements, software, and interrupted power supplies, and networking.

There is a possibility that even using the cloud wouldn’t be as cost-effective for some people simply because a lot of data centers run a wide variety of workloads which include using important applications to run the data including some already outdated apps that can no longer be purchased.

Some examples of where you could save money using the cloud instead of a traditional or micro data center are:

– Spending only 6% of your total cost to take care of labor as opposed to 40% of all costs
– since the cloud does not have the same limits as a micro data center, you’re able to do more
– your power distribution and cooling costs will be only 20% of your costs
– 48% of costs go straight to computing